Alonso says no to ‘dream team’ pairing with Vettel under new Ferrari deal
London: Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has reportedly rejected the plan to have current world champion Sebastian Vettel join him, for what Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo had called a dream team.
Although the Spanish ace said nothing in public about the issue, he had showed the Formula One world with his brilliance in a car that was no match for Vettel’s masterpiece at times last season, and then negotiated a new deal with his team.
Under the deal, Ferrari cannot sign in the German star while Alonso stayed in their number spot, adding that Alonso has hinted at staying at Ferrari beyond his current contract till 2016.
Although Vettel had failed to dismiss any rumours that he held ambitions to drive for the Italian team one day, ironically he is ready to sign with Red Bull until 2016, which is the year Alonso’s deal ends.
However, Montezemolo quickly changed his opinion after reviewing Alonso’s performance and agreed to bow to the demands of the two-time world champ. Reversing from his earlier statements, the Ferrari president had further said that it is highly unlikely that there will be a pairing between Vettel and Alonso.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event