Alonso tips Lewis Hamilton as next season’s title contender
London: Formula One ace Fernando Alonso has tipped Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes as the major title contenders for the next Grand Prix season.
Even though the departing McLaren ace has written off 2013 as a building year at his new team, the Spaniard is convinced the combination will be too powerful to ignore.
“Nico and Lewis together with Mercedes can be serious contenders for next year and in the future, who knows? I have always had a lot of respect for Lewis, he is probably the best, or one of the best, here,” a daily quoted Alonso, as saying.
The Spaniard, who has never won at Interlagos, must beat the odds to become the sport’s youngest triple champion. Vettel’s 13-point lead means Alonso must at least finish on the podium in the weekend’s Brazilian Grand Prix.
“If we win the race I will be very happy but we need some strange combination of results to become champion,” said Alonso.
“There is always pressure in Formula One but I think there is less than if we were leading the championship. We have nothing to lose really,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister