Alonso tips Lewis Hamilton as next season’s title contender
London: Formula One ace Fernando Alonso has tipped Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes as the major title contenders for the next Grand Prix season.
Even though the departing McLaren ace has written off 2013 as a building year at his new team, the Spaniard is convinced the combination will be too powerful to ignore.
“Nico and Lewis together with Mercedes can be serious contenders for next year and in the future, who knows? I have always had a lot of respect for Lewis, he is probably the best, or one of the best, here,” a daily quoted Alonso, as saying.
The Spaniard, who has never won at Interlagos, must beat the odds to become the sport’s youngest triple champion. Vettel’s 13-point lead means Alonso must at least finish on the podium in the weekend’s Brazilian Grand Prix.
“If we win the race I will be very happy but we need some strange combination of results to become champion,” said Alonso.
“There is always pressure in Formula One but I think there is less than if we were leading the championship. We have nothing to lose really,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok