Angry Webber downplays ‘questionable’ Monaco win over ‘illegal hole’ in car
London : Red Bull Racing star Mark Webber has said he is annoyed with those questioning his victory in Monaco two weekends ago, on the basis of a hole in the floor of his Red Bull car, which has subsequently been deemed to be illegal.
“I am happy to be called lots of things and to have criticism about my driving, but I will not stand criticism in that respect. It really pisses me off, to be honest, because it (the car) has passed every single technical regulation,” Webber said.
Webber downplayed the effect the change will have on the performance of the car, but admitted that he was angry at suggestions that he won with an illegal machine.
“We are very optimistic that the change won’t affect us at all. You won’t believe this but we had changes for Valencia anyway, which included no holes, irrespective of the rule changes,” the Australian said.
Although the design was never actually objected to by any of Red Bull’s rivals, it was widely questioned by the authorities.
The FIA, Formula One’s governing body, has now decided to clarify the rules ahead of this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix.
“All the teams who were against it did not make any protest after Monaco. The car passed the test after Bahrain, the car passed the test after Monaco and now there has been a new interpretation of the rule. We had a car that was legal for the first part of the season. Now that rule has changed and we will start again, so I am looking forward to it,” Webber added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam