Armaan 2nd fastest at pre-season test at Indianapolis
Chennai: India`s young racer Armaan Ebrahim emerged the second fastest during the two-day pre-season test with Indy Lights team Jensen Motor Sport at the famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Armaan missed the action at the inaugural Indian Grand Prix as he opted to get some invaluable track time while also acclimatizing to the car on October 29 and 30.
Armaan is in the process of finalising a race seat in the 2012 Indy Lights series in the United States.
Armaan, who drove both days with old tyres, finished second overall when all cars were on old sets despite losing considerable amount of track time due to fuel pump and brake issues.
Originally, Armaan was to have tested with Bryan Herta Autosport team on October 29 and Jensen Motor Sport the following day. However, in the wake of the demise of their driver Dan Wheldon during a race in Las Vegas on October 16, BHA could not conduct the test as scheduled.
Armaan had tested with BHA in September when he completed over 100 laps at the Putnam Park Road course in Indianapolis.
"It was not easy to keep my mind focused as I was missing the inaugural Indian GP and an opportunity to meet the F1 teams," Armaan said.
"The IMS Road circuit was a delight to drive on with the high speed banked corners. Unfortunately, my progress was hampered due to certain issues with the car on both days and I finally had a decent run in the last session where I was second fastest overall on old tyres.”
Armaan said a strong performance would provide him opportunities for an entry into Formula One or the IRL.
"We are all set now to finalise our contract for the 2012 Indy Lights season. The game plan is very clear and that is to do exceedingly well in the Indy Lights Series which will then put me in a position to secure a drive in 2013 either in F1 or in the Indy Racing League."
"It is pointless to attempt GP2 as there is no sponsorship available for a race seat with a top team. I have backing for an F1 or an Indy drive, but definitely not for GP2," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre