Aussies have utmost respect for Tendulkar: Webber
Greater Noida: Australian Formula 1 driver Mark Webber said here Wednesday that his country has utmost respect for Indian cricketing maestro Sachin Tendulkar.
"Sachin Tendulkar has just been an incredible cricketer and one of the most amazing sportspersons the world has seen. Australians have utmost respect for Tendulkar. The government, the people, everyone respects him," said Webber, who drives for current constructors` World Champions Red Bull.
Australia Prime Minister Julia Gilliard recently conferred Tendulkar with the Membership of the Order of Australia, an honour rarely bestowed on non-Australians. This did not go well with many Australians, who questioned whether the Indian batting legend should receive this honour.
However, Webber had a different take on it.
"We have given the Order of Australia to cricketers from other nations too. They have been doing it for a while now. We gave it to Garfield Sobers and Brian Lara. If we can give it to Lara then Tendulkar certainly deserves it," said the 36-year-old.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say