Aussies have utmost respect for Tendulkar: Webber
Greater Noida: Australian Formula 1 driver Mark Webber said here Wednesday that his country has utmost respect for Indian cricketing maestro Sachin Tendulkar.
"Sachin Tendulkar has just been an incredible cricketer and one of the most amazing sportspersons the world has seen. Australians have utmost respect for Tendulkar. The government, the people, everyone respects him," said Webber, who drives for current constructors` World Champions Red Bull.
Australia Prime Minister Julia Gilliard recently conferred Tendulkar with the Membership of the Order of Australia, an honour rarely bestowed on non-Australians. This did not go well with many Australians, who questioned whether the Indian batting legend should receive this honour.
However, Webber had a different take on it.
"We have given the Order of Australia to cricketers from other nations too. They have been doing it for a while now. We gave it to Garfield Sobers and Brian Lara. If we can give it to Lara then Tendulkar certainly deserves it," said the 36-year-old.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town