Australia’s Power wins Toronto Indy Car Grand Prix
Toronto: Australia’s Will Power clinched his fourth Indy Car victory of the season when he triumphed at the Grand Prix of Toronto.
Power, who had won at Watkins Glen two weeks ago, finished ahead of Britain’s Dario Franchitti and Ryan Hunter-Reay of the US.
“This whole team works so well together,” said Power on Sunday. “I’m just so happy to win and get a bigger points lead.”
He also has a 42-point lead over Indianapolis 500 winner Franchitti in the championship standings.
“As I predicted, it was a very wild race,” Power said. “It started on the first corner for me when I had Helio (Castroneves) and (Ryan) Hunter-Reay come cruising up the inside. I was like, `OK, I’ll let those guys go.’ And then I lost a couple of more positions. But I know how this race goes.
“The key for me when I came to this race was avoiding carnage and accidents, which I know happens every year, and like I said, in the first corner, that right there could have been the finish if I’d just turned in. But I backed off.”
Power earned his second consecutive victory, overtaking Justin Wilson off a restart with 14 laps remaining and holding off Franchitti.
He captured the opening two races of the season in Sao Paulo and St. Petersburg and then won at Watkins Glen earlier this month.
He raced on the Champ Car circuit before switching to IndyCar, winning three years ago in Toronto.
Tony Kanaan was fourth followed by Graham Rahal, Danica Patrick, Wilson, Marco Andretti, Simona de Silvestro and Dan Wheldon.
Franchitti surrendered the lead to pit with 30 laps remaining, and Wilson and Power made their final pits a lap later.
Wilson beat Power out of the pits and they both ended up in front of Franchitti.
“I had to pit a lap early, so Justin and Will jumped ahead when they went a lap longer,” Franchitti said. “We just didn’t run quite quick enough. We were fast in practice, but weren’t quite fast enough to beat Will.”
After the fifth of sixth caution periods, Power overtook Wilson, who dropped from contention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway