Bahrain accepts cancellation of Grand Prix
London: Bahrain Grand Prix organisers accepted the cancellation of their postponed Formula One race after teams objected to it being rescheduled in October.
"Whilst Bahrain would have been delighted to see the Grand Prix progress on October 30th ... it has been made clear that this fixture cannot progress and we fully respect that decision," circuit chairman Zayed Alzayani said in a statement.
"We want our role in Formula One to continue to be as positive and constructive as it has always been, therefore, in the best interest of the sport, we will not pursue the rescheduling of a race this season," he added.
The race at the Sakhir circuit had originally been scheduled as the March season-opener but was postponed after bloody unrest and a crackdown on anti-government protesters in the Gulf kingdom.
After giving Bahrain months to decide whether they were in a position to hold the race, the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) announced last Friday that it would be rescheduled for Oct. 30.
The inaugural Indian Grand Prix that had been scheduled for that date was moved to Dec. 11, but will now revert to the original slot.
Last week`s decision triggered outrage among human rights campaigners, with more than 455,000 people signing an online petition calling on champions Red Bull and others to boycott the Bahrain race.
With any change in the calendar requiring the unanimous written agreement of the teams, who wrote to the FIA and commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone to express their opposition, cancellation looked inevitable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried