Bahrain accused of pre-Grand Prix arrests
Dubai: Bahrain has been rounding up pro-democracy activists ahead of its controversial staging of the April 21 Formula One Grand Prix two years after a bloody crackdown, Human Rights Watch said on Wednesday.
Plainclothes police officers have arrested 20 people so far in raids in towns around the Gulf state`s Sakhir circuit, the New York-based watchdog said.
"Bahraini authorities are carrying out home raids and arbitrarily detaining opposition protesters in advance of the Formula 1 Grand Prix weekend," it said.
"These raids and detentions suggest that officials are more concerned with getting activists out of circulation for the Formula 1 race than with addressing the legitimate grievances that have led so many Bahrainis to take to the streets," said HRW`s Middle East director Sarah Leah Whitson.
"The Bahraini authorities have a responsibility to ensure the safety of those attending the Formula 1 Grand Prix, but that should not extend to arresting people for exercising their legitimate rights to free speech and assembly," Whitson said.
"Night-time raids of targeted people by masked officers who show neither arrest nor search warrants appear intended to intimidate them, their families and their supporters."
Sunni-ruled Bahrain was rocked by month-long pro-democracy protests led by the kingdom`s Shiite majority in early 2011 that were crushed with the help of Saudi-led troops.
Last year`s Bahrain Grand Prix was accompanied by a week of angry Shiite-led protests but demonstrators stayed away from the desert circuit and the race passed off without incident.
A total of 80 people have been killed in Bahrain since the protests erupted in February 2011, according to the International Federation for Human Rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside