Bahrain confirms F1 night race, tests new floodlights
Sakhir (Bahrain): The Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) here is gearing up for its first Formula 1 night race and will test a new floodlight system this weekend.
The system is being tried at the season finale of the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) which concludes with a six hour race Saturday. Once completed in February, the project would have installed 495 poles and laid 500 km of cables.
“We are delighted to be able to try the first phase of our lighting project at the WEC, a major milestone in this hugely ambitious project for the BIC,” said BIC chief executive Sheikh Salman bin Isa Al-Khalifa Friday.
The race scheduled for April 6 will be the 10th edition, making Bahrain the third Asian country to host a night round after Abu Dhabi and Singapore.
“I believe that there can be no better way for us to mark our 10th anniversary by demonstrating our long-term commitment to the sport through this significant investment, cementing our place as the home of motorsport in the Middle East,” the chief executive added.
A BIC official told IANS that it has not yet been decided that whether the race will see twilight or held completely in the night.
The circuit is also expected to host two pre-season tests for 2014 when the new regulations come into effect.
Bahrain made its F1 debut in 2004 and since then has been a regular feature on the calendar barring 2011 when the race was cancelled owing to unrest in the kingdom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered