Bahrain ready to host F1 GP: Circuit CEO
Manama: Bahrain is ready to host the Grand Prix that should have opened the Formula One season but was postponed because of the political turmoil and civil unrest in the Gulf state, organisers insisted.
"The Sakhir circuit is ready to welcome the Grand Prix if it is rescheduled for this season," Bahrain circuit chief executive Sheikh Salman bin Issa al-Khalifa told reporters.
The statement came a day after the Bahraini government lifted a state of emergency and on the eve of a June 3 meeting by world motorsport`s governing body, FIA, which will decide whether the race will go ahead in Bahrain this season.
"We`re ready and the circuit is ready to host this great event and all that we need is a three-month heads-up to be able to complete preparations."
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said Tuesday that he was hopeful that the Bahrain leg would be reinstated on the Formula One calendar this year.
A rescheduled Bahrain race could fill the slot currently reserved for the inaugural Indian GP in Delhi from October 28-30, Ecclestone suggested.
"I think the teams are happy. If it`s safe and everything is good then I think the teams will be happy to support it," Ecclestone told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video