BCIM car rally to revive Southern Silk Route
Kolkata: More than six decades after an ancient trade route was closed post World War II, the Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar Forum for Regional Cooperation (BCIM) hopes to retrace the lost trails and revive commercial trade in the `Southern Silk Route` with a 3,000-km car rally from Kolkata to Kunming in China.
In an interview to PTI on the eve of the 12-day BCIM Car Rally, CII director general Chandrajit Banerjee said the rally would not only achieve a unique feat since the route had been closed since the World War II, it would also demonstrate symbolically that "China is not far away from India".
"Since most parts through which the BCIM Rally cars will travel are underdeveloped, the potential of trade is enormous. Here I am not talking about border trade, but commercial trade by the land route," he continued.
"The region of North East in India and the adjoining parts in Bangladesh, Myanmar and South West China remain by and large underdeveloped.
"There is a common need for regional connectivity, which when it happens will give impetus to development, and also increase trade and commerce," he said about the region which has a market of 2.8 billion people, and a GDP of USD 9.3 trillion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!