Belgian rider dies on Dakar Rally
Belgian motorcycle rider Eric Palante has died during the Dakar Rally in Argentina, race organisers said in a statement on Friday.
They said the 50-year-old`s body was found by officials at around 0830 local time at the 143km mark of the fifth stage between Chilecito and San Miguel de Tucuman in the north of the country.
A local judge was looking into the circumstances of the Belgian`s death. Organisers said they had received no alert from the rider, who had water with him.
Palante was competing in his 11th Dakar in the amateur category.
"He knew the race very well, and over the years his enthusiastic but serious approach had made him one of the pillars of the event," the statement said.
The Dakar Rally runs through Argentina, Bolivia and Chile with the finish in Valparaiso on January 18.
It is now in its sixth year in South America after starting out as a gruelling and frequently fatal race from Paris across the Sahara to the Senegalese capital Dakar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal