Bernie Ecclestone casts doubt on Germany's return to F1
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has cast doubt on Germany`s return to the calendar next year and indicated that Ferrari`s home Italian Grand Prix at Monza remains at risk after 2016.
Sepang: Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has cast doubt on Germany`s return to the calendar next year and indicated that Ferrari`s home Italian Grand Prix at Monza remains at risk after 2016.
This year`s German Grand Prix in July has been cancelled after the troubled Nuerburgring was unable to reach a deal and Hockenheim was unwilling to step in at short notice after poor ticket sales last year.
Hockenheim has a contract for 2016 but Ecclestone, 84, suggested that was no guarantee of champions Mercedes`s home race returning.
"That doesn`t make a difference," he told reporters at the Malaysian Grand Prix on Friday. "A lot of people have a contract."
The Briton has said previously that Monza, one of Formula One`s most historic tracks and a temple of Italian motorsport since the 1920s, could be struck off after next year if a new contract is not agreed.
"Whatever goes, goes," he said when asked about European races disappearing. "There are lots of things we all would like, but we don`t have them because we can`t afford them."
In other comments, Ecclestone hailed reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton as the best yet and criticised his predecessor Sebastian Vettel.
"Apart from the fact he`s talented, he`s a good guy, he gets out on the street and supports and promotes Formula One...I told Sebastian, you should be doing what he`s doing," he said.