Bernie Ecclestone tops F1 ‘Rich List’ with GBP 6.2billion fortune
London: Formula One group CEO Bernie Ecclestone has topped the sport’s Rich List with a 6.2billion-pound fortune, leaving behind Red Bull team owner Dietrich Mateschitz and Queens Park Rangers (QPR) and Caterham owner Tony Fernandes.
The elderly F1 supremo, who was former car salesman and an unsuccessful driver in the 1950s, is also the most powerful person in the sport along with being the richest.
He lives in an apartment above his Knightsbridge office and is known to go round switching off lights to save on electricity. However, Ecclestone is reportedly very frugal, living in an apartment above his Knightsbridge office and is known to go round switching off lights to save on electricity, although his socialite daughters Tamara and Petra more than make up for his lack of extravagance — Tamara owns a 200,000 pound handbag collection.
Next on the list is the Austrian owner of Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso, Dietrich Mateschitz, at 4,755 million pounds, who Austrian founded Red Bull in 1984, bought the Jaguar team in 2004 and turned it into Red Bull Racing. Also among the top 10 in mega-wealthy sport is the Malaysian owner of F1 team Caterham and football team QPR, Tony Fernandes, at 470 million pounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days