Bernie Ecclestone tops F1 ‘Rich List’ with GBP 6.2billion fortune
London: Formula One group CEO Bernie Ecclestone has topped the sport’s Rich List with a 6.2billion-pound fortune, leaving behind Red Bull team owner Dietrich Mateschitz and Queens Park Rangers (QPR) and Caterham owner Tony Fernandes.
The elderly F1 supremo, who was former car salesman and an unsuccessful driver in the 1950s, is also the most powerful person in the sport along with being the richest.
He lives in an apartment above his Knightsbridge office and is known to go round switching off lights to save on electricity. However, Ecclestone is reportedly very frugal, living in an apartment above his Knightsbridge office and is known to go round switching off lights to save on electricity, although his socialite daughters Tamara and Petra more than make up for his lack of extravagance — Tamara owns a 200,000 pound handbag collection.
Next on the list is the Austrian owner of Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso, Dietrich Mateschitz, at 4,755 million pounds, who Austrian founded Red Bull in 1984, bought the Jaguar team in 2004 and turned it into Red Bull Racing. Also among the top 10 in mega-wealthy sport is the Malaysian owner of F1 team Caterham and football team QPR, Tony Fernandes, at 470 million pounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?