British driver Edwards dies in Porsche crash
London: British racing driver Sean Edwards has been killed in a crash at the Queensland Raceway in Australia.
The 26-year-old, the son of former Formula One driver Guy Edwards, died on Tuesday when the Porsche in which he was a passenger instructing a 20-year-old male, slammed into a wall and caught fire.
Monaco-based Edwards, who was leading the drivers` championship in the 2013 Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup season with one race to go, was taking part in a private training day at the time, according to Australian news reports.
The driver reportedly suffered severe injuries.
"Our thoughts are with his family and we want to express our deepest condolences to his relatives," Hartmut Kristen, Head of Motorsport at Porsche, said in a statement.
Edwards had a cameo role in the recently-released movie Rush, playing his father Guy who helped pull Niki Lauda from his burning Ferrari after a crash at a F1 Grand Prix at the Nurburgring in 1976.
Reacting to the news of Edwards` death, former McLaren driver David Coulthard took to Twitter.
"Shocking news about Sean Edwards passing, top man and super talented racer, condolences to his nearest and dearest," he said.
Karun Chandhok, a former F1 driver, added on Twitter: "RIP Sean Edwards... Sadly highlights the dangers that instructors put themselves in while helping other drivers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!