Button reckons newbie Perez can handle pressure of driving at McLaren
London: Formula one star Jenson Button believes his new team-mate Sergio Perez will be able to handle the pressure that comes with driving for McLaren.
He reckons the young Mexican has been unfairly criticised over his dramatic drop in form since he signed for the top British team.
“You’re not afraid of it because this is what you think you’re very good at doing,” The Sun quoted Button, as saying.
“When you think you’re good at something, you don’t feel that pressure as much at a competitive organisation like McLaren. So there is more pressure but I don’t think Checo is going to feel it,” he added.
According to the paper, ex-Sauber driver Perez, known as Checo, failed to score a single point in six Grands Prix after his deal with McLaren was revealed.
And many observers were convinced it was because he was already cracking under the added weight of expectation, especially as he is replacing a race-winning superstar in Lewis Hamilton.
But Button said Checo would be able to the handle the heat.
“We’ve just got to let him do his thing. He’s going to have an important winter and we’ll see what he can do next year. But I think he has proved he has good speed and a good understanding of a race car,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?