Button thanks British fans for support ahead of `jinxed` Grand Prix
London: Formula one star Jenson Button has praised British fans as the best in the world for their continued support through the years, even as he tries to end his 13-year jinx at the British Grand Prix.
Almost 80,000 fans braved adverse conditions to watch the reduced practice session on Friday, even as the heroes could manage only a handful of laps in the morning rain, the Mirror reports.
The only silverware that is currently eluding the Englishman is his home grand prix.
The McLaren ace also revealed that the passionate backing of supporters had moved him close to tears even though he admitted that it would be nothing short of `a miracle` if he finished on the podium in the race.
An emotional Button said that it was tough that he was not doing well despite the support from the fans, adding that they deserve a result and his team was going to give it everything.
However, the British racer was optimistic about his love of the circuit and said that if he did well at the race, it would be pretty amazing and hoped that one day he would finish well.
The report added that Button has finished fourth and fifth twice in this race but has never reached the podium, with an opportunity to finish as the runners-up gone down two years ago because of a pit-stop mistake just few laps before the finish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test