Crash victim Kubica moving fingers again
Paris: Renault driver Robert Kubica was moving his fingers again on Monday after his high-speed crash in a rally and team boss Eric Boullier predicted his recovery could be much quicker than doctors first feared.
The 26-year-old Pole was operated on for seven hours when he sustained multiple fractures to his right leg and arm after hitting a church wall in Italy on Sunday but may still require further surgery, said his team.
Kubica was initially put in an induced coma but awoke for a short time on Monday morning.
"He was briefly woken up by the doctors," Renault said in a statement. "He was then able to talk to his relatives. He was also able to move his fingers which is encouraging for the rest of his recovery process.
"In order to avoid any physical stress Robert will be put under gentle medication in order to sleep for the next 24 hours at least. Meanwhile the doctors will decide how they will treat his elbow and shoulder fractures.”
"Robert may have to undergo surgery once again for this but not for a few days," the statement read.
On Sunday, doctors were worried about the functionality of Kubica`s right hand and predicted he could take a year to recover but Boullier gave an upbeat message a day later.
"When you have a big crash like Robert suffered on Sunday doctors always predict the worst case scenario," Boullier told reporters on his way to visit Kubica along with fellow Renault driver Vitaly Petrov.
"He is definitely out for a couple of months. The recovery will be quicker than one year but it is a bit early to know exactly how long he will need."
Despite Boullier`s optimism Kubica`s surgeon said the possible recovery time could be around a year, with the next few days crucial as they wait to see if the operation was totally successful.
"The hand is warm and this means the operation went well," surgeon Mario Igor Rossello told reporters at the Santa Corona hospital near Genoa.
"We need at least six days to check if the circulation of the blood in the limb responds as it should."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference