Daly tops in MRF race
Greater Noida: Conor Daly scored a lights-to-flag victory in Round 1 of the MRF Challenge, a support event for the Formula 1 Indian Grand Prix at the Buddh International Circuit here Saturday.
Conor charged off the start line from his second place grid position, out-dragging pole-sitter Jordan King to the first corner. He then held on to his position for a well-deserved win.
Conor arrived in India early Friday morning, direct from a World Series test in Barcelona and after just three hours of sleep, left for the circuit to make his seat in time for the single 30 minute free practice session at noon.
Later in the afternoon, after a short 30-minute nap on the sofa in MRF hospitality, he put the car on second place for the grid of Race 1.
The reigning FIA Formula 2 champion Akshay Luciano Bacheta, who recorded the fastest lap of the race with a time of 1:56.670 seconds, took third place in the nine-lap race which was a very close battle between the top three.
Alice Powell and Jon Lancaster battled hard for fourth and fifth places. Powell found a way past Lancaster mid-way through the race, and then holding the position until the chequered flag.
Parthiva Sureshwaren and Ashwin Sundar were the only two Indian racers in the field after Parth Ghorpade had an electrical malfunction on his car just minutes before the race started, causing a short circuit in his cars electrical system. Sureshwaren finished ahead of Sundar in seventh after another race long battle.
Race 2 of the MRF Challenge will be held Sunday morning. Jordan King will once again start the race from pole position, ahead of Jon Lancaster, Matthew Mason, Bacheta and Powell while Daly will start in sixth place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation