Dhoni`s team wins opening World Superbike support race
Philip Island (Australia): Mahi Racing Team India began their World Supersport Championship campaign in style with their lead rider Kenan Sofuoglu of Turkey winning the first race of the season at Philip Island, Australia Sunday.
Sofuoglu`s triumph also provided Mahendra Singh Dhoni-owned Mahi Racing, which is the first Indian team to compete in the World Super-sport Championship, a perfect start in the 15-round championship.
The three-time world champion, who started in second spot behind Sam Lowes of Yakhnich Motorsport, showcased speed and reliability of the Kawasaki ZX-6R by taking the chequered flag 1.899 seconds ahead of Lowes.
Sofuoglu clocked 23:32.480 and in the bargain also recorded the fastest lap of 1:33.283 on the 15th and final lap.
The Turkish rider had a see-saw battle with Lowes till the 12th lap but once he got past his challenger there was no stopping him.
"It was a near perfect race for us and I am very happy that me and the team have started the campaign on the winning note," said Sofuoglu.
Sofuoglu`s teammate Fabien Foret, however, failed to finish on the podium. The Frenchman, who started in the third position, slipped to fourth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say