Di Resta, Hulkenberg back Narain over Vettel`s `idiot` remark
Greater Noida: Fellow Formula One drivers Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg backed Narain Karthikeyan after his collision with Sebastian Vettel during the dramatic Malaysian Grand Prix. The reigning World Champion called the Indian an "idiot" following the incident.
Karthikeyan, in his HRT, contacted the rear left of Vettel`s Red Bull in the dying moments of the rain-affected race Sunday, resulting in a rare 11th place finish for the German. Vettel was runing fourth at the time of the incident, meaning he lost out on 12 points in the drivers` standings.
"I heard about whatever happened and I also saw it on tv. From what I saw, it was not Narain`s fault. So, I don`t really understand why he (Vettel) said all of that," said Sahara Force India`s Hulkenberg after he drove around a Mercedez-Benz at the Buddh International Circuit.
"I think Vettel was just emotional at that point of time. He lost out on points, it was frustrating for him and his team. At the end of the day, he is just human and sometimes you get emotional."
Paul di Resta, who also flew in from Sepang for the promotional event, concurred with his Force India teammate.
"Though I have not really seen the incident, I am sure a lot of was said in the heat of the moment. May be he (Vettel) used the wrong words. Emotions run high in Formula One and sometimes you tend to say what you don`t really mean," said di Resta.
"Having said that, Narain is entitled to do as much on the track in comparison as someone like Vettel. Both are F1 drivers and are there to represent their teams," he added.
Vettel had earlier told the BBC: "Like on normal roads, you have some idiots driving around. It seems there is also one driving here. "
Karthikeyan replied to his comments saying the top drivers sometimes turn "bully" while lapping a slower car.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Strong Indian growth to push up Asian economy to 5.7%: ADB
- Caught on camera: Woman abducted, molested in Bengaluru; one arrested
- Two killed in police firing in Arunachal's Tawang
- No plans to restart ceasefire with NSCN-K: Home ministry
- Trio of Earth-like planets found may posses perfect conditions for life, claim scientists