Doctors say next 48 hrs to determine `comatose` Schumacher`s life
Melbourne: Doctors treating Formula One legend Michael Schumacher have said that the next 48 hours will determine the racing ace`s future, including if emergency surgery has saved his life or if he has suffered any long-term damage.
The seven-time F1 champion, who remains in an induced coma in a critical condition after he suffered internal bleeding and severe bruising to the brain when his head struck a rock during a high-speed off-piste ski run in the French Alps, is being watched around the clock by doctors and his family, who have maintained a bedside vigil.
According to Telegraph.com.au, doctors said that Schumacher was kept in a coma and in a state of hypothermia to give him the best chance to recover from the serious head trauma, with Professor Stephen Chabardes, the neurosurgeon who performed emergency surgery on the star, saying that Schumacher arrived in hospital in an agitated state.
Stating that they had been able to eliminate the `haemotoma`, Chabardes however, said that unfortunately, various bilateral lesions appeared in his brain for which the F1 ace was being watched hour-by-hour, while another neurosurgeon said that it usually takes 48 hours, or even longer, to be able to formulate an opinion on injuries of this severity.
The German, who turns 45 this Friday, was skiing with his 14-year-old son off-piste when shortly after a while he hit a rock and struck his head, with doctors saying that although the helmet he was wearing had given him a fighting chance but his head still suffered a very violent shock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!