Ecclestone gives Donington another two weeks
London: Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has given Donington Park more time to provide the financial guarantees needed to host next year`s British Grand Prix.
"Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd has another two weeks to further demonstrate our credentials for hosting the British Grand Prix," chief executive Simon Gillett said after meeting Ecclestone.
"We remain committed to delivering on the promises we made at the start of this process and have the interests of the sport and its fans at heart," he said in a statement.
Ecclestone had initially set an end of September deadline but has twice extended it since then. Donington has promised to invest 100 million pounds (USD 158.6 million) in revamping the circuit over a five-year period.
The Briton has said Silverstone, the circuit that put on the first championship race in 1950 but has now lost the contract after this year`s farewell, will host the July 11 grand prix if Donington is not ready.
However Damon Hill, president of Silverstone`s owners the British Racing Drivers` Club, told a newspaper that a one-year stopgap deal might not be enough for them.
"There is a deal that can be done," he said. "Bernie`s method has been very much to go to the highest bidder, but there are sporting matters, not just commercial matters, to be considered.”
"We need to work together so there is not a question every year about the future of the British Grand Prix."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!