Ecclestone gives Donington another two weeks
London: Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has given Donington Park more time to provide the financial guarantees needed to host next year`s British Grand Prix.
"Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd has another two weeks to further demonstrate our credentials for hosting the British Grand Prix," chief executive Simon Gillett said after meeting Ecclestone.
"We remain committed to delivering on the promises we made at the start of this process and have the interests of the sport and its fans at heart," he said in a statement.
Ecclestone had initially set an end of September deadline but has twice extended it since then. Donington has promised to invest 100 million pounds (USD 158.6 million) in revamping the circuit over a five-year period.
The Briton has said Silverstone, the circuit that put on the first championship race in 1950 but has now lost the contract after this year`s farewell, will host the July 11 grand prix if Donington is not ready.
However Damon Hill, president of Silverstone`s owners the British Racing Drivers` Club, told a newspaper that a one-year stopgap deal might not be enough for them.
"There is a deal that can be done," he said. "Bernie`s method has been very much to go to the highest bidder, but there are sporting matters, not just commercial matters, to be considered.”
"We need to work together so there is not a question every year about the future of the British Grand Prix."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced