Ecclestone says Schumacher’s comeback for second spell in F1 ‘mistake’
Washington: Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone believes seven-time Michael Schumacher made a mistake by coming out of retirement in 2010 to spend three largely unsuccessful seasons with Mercedes.
The 43-year-old German quit for a second time at the end of the 2012 campaign and will be replaced in the team by Britain`s Lewis Hamilton next season.
A solitary podium spot in the European Grand Prix at Valencia earlier this year was the highlight of Schumacher`s comeback and Ecclestone said the poor results have tarnished his image.
“I would rather he had stopped as a seven-time world champion than stopping now. People new to the sport people who have joined the F1 fan fraternity just recently -- will remember Michael now, not as he was,” the CNN quoted Ecclestone, as saying on F1’s official website.
“They don`t see the hero that he was but the human that can fail. We will miss Michael, because even though he wasn`t winning races in those three years, he is still very popular,” he added.
“I think the important thing is and this is probably difficult to know when you can`t do what you used to do anymore and then hand it over to somebody else,” he said.
Schumacher`s final season in F1 saw him finish 13th in the driver standings as fellow German Sebastian Vettel made it a hat-trick of titles in his Red Bull.
It was a far cry from his glory days at Ferrari where he won five titles and his two earlier championship successes with Benetton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened