Ecclestone under scanner over German bank bribery
London: Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone may come under the scanner for reportedly paying 44 million dollars in bribes to a German banker to help him keep control over the sport.
In return for his 44 million dollar bribe, Ecclestone is alleged to have received 41.4 million in commissions from the state-owned Bayerische Landes bank, and a further 25 million dollars in the F 1 chief’s family trust, Bambino Holdings.
Gerhard Gribkowsky, the accused German banker was the head of risk management at Bavarian bank BayernLB who overlooked Formula One`s sale to private equity firm CVC Capital Partners in 2006, a daily reports.
It is unclear as to why Ecclestone would have bribed Gribkowsky, although one theory is that the German was battling in court for greater control of the sport in 2005 before BayernLB`s sale of its stake. By selling his bank`s shares to CVC, Ecclestone got promptly installed as the chief executive.
In a statement, Munich`s state prosecutor alleged that the former chief risk officer at BayernLB sold the bank`s 48 per cent stake in the sport without updating its valuation
“The payment was disguised by two fake consulting contracts with mailbox companies in Mauritius and the British Virgin Islands,” the prosecutor said.
“The accused did not pay tax on the funds in Germany even though he had unlimited tax liability there,” he added.
The prosecutor said that to compensate for these payments, Gribkowsky agreed on behalf of BayernLB to pay 41.4 million dollars to Ecclestone and 25 million to Bambino.
Gribkowsky has now been charged with corruption, embezzlement and tax evasion and under German law, a tribunal will now decide whether he will stand trial, the report said.
However, it remains unclear whether Ecclestone will be forced to stand trial either in Germany or Britain over the deal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference