‘Embarrassed’ Hamilton apologises after wrongly accusing Button of disrespecting him
London: Lewis Hamilton has apologised for an embarrassing confusion, which led to him to accuse McLaren teammate Jensen Button for showing disrespect by un-following him on Twitter, only to find out later that he never followed him.
Hamilton, who is to leave McLaren for Mercedes at the end of the year, was taking his cue from a tweet by a journalist suggesting Button had unfollowed him on the social networking site.
“Just noticed @jensonbutton unfollowed, thats a shame. After 3 years as teammates, I thought we respected one another but clearly he doesn`t,” the Telegraph quoted Hamilton’s tweet, as saying.
“Funny thing is, we are STILL teammates! All good tho, I plan on giving this team & fans all I got til I cross the finish line in brazil!!!” he further tweeted.
But the 27-year-old soon realised Button did not follow his Twitter account in the first place.
That led the Brit to tweet: “My bad, just found out Jenson never followed me. Don’t blame him! Need to be on Twitter more!”
Hamilton’s comments can only have left Button unimpressed, and could put a strain on their working relationship at a crucial stage of the season, the paper said.
The faux pas marked the final chapter of a tough week for Hamilton. His move to Mercedes was the talk of the paddock at the Japanese Grand Prix and he refused to answer questions about it at an FIA press conference on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city