Ex-F1 champs back `mentally tough` Webber to win world title
Melbourne : Red Bull driver Mark Webber has the mental toughness to lift the world title in Abu Dhabi on Sunday night, according to former Formula One champions.
Australia`s two F1 champions, Sir Jack Brabham and Alan Jones, both believe Webber can beat current leader Fernando Alonso and teammate Sebastian Vettel to lift the crown.
"He`s got the right attitude. He`s going to go and do it. I`ve spoken to him on the phone a couple of times and he`s very fired up. I hope he makes it. It will be fantastic for Australia if he does," Brabham said.
Jones also believes Webber has the edge in a scrap. "I think he`s better mentally attuned to a challenge," Fox Sports quoted him, as saying.
"In all honesty, if there are any mind games or mental tests, it`s in Mark`s favour. He`s come up the hard way. The others, to some degree, have got a silver spoon in their mouths. They will be more likely to throw a tantrum," Jones said.
Jones further said Webber needs to forget about the championship and concentrate on winning the race.
"He`s just got to treat it like another grand prix. He cannot go in preoccupied with the championship. I used to take one race at a time," he said.
Brabham wants luck to be on Webber`s side. "He will need a little bit of luck with it. Basically, he`s got to win the race to be sure of it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Do you want to work for the Narendra Modi Government? Apply here
- Fire in Hauz Khas Village, one found dead
- Premier League 2016-17: Sunderland struggling to match rivals financially, says David Moyes
- England won't force players to tour Bangladesh, says skipper Eoin Morgan
- Uttar Pradesh Speaker to decide on disqualification of Swamy Prasad Maurya