F1 drivers Webber, Massa show support for Kubica
Jerez: Australia`s Mark Webber described Robert Kubica as one of the world`s best drivers as Formula One united in its support for the Pole who suffered a terrifying rally crash at the weekend.
Kubica is certain to miss the new season which gets underway in Bahrain in four weeks` time after suffering multiple injuries in the smash which required seven hours of surgery.
The Lotus Renault driver was absent from the first day of the year`s second official test on Thursday, but the teams here all carried messages of support on the side of their cars.
Kubica`s team-mate Vitaly Petrov of Russia had a Polish message `Szybkiego powrotu do zdrowia Robert` - `Get well soon Robert` emblazoned on his engine cover.
"I`d like to add that my wishes are with Robert," said Red Bull driver Webber.
"It was a big shock for all of us, I couldn’t believe it. I’m happy, as it looks like the people involved have done an incredible job for him after the accident to keep him in the best shape possible.”
"It’s a big loss for our sport that he’s not here this year and a big loss for us as competitors, as we’re motivated to race against the best guys in the world and Robert is one of them.”
"I wish him all the best for his recovery; every day he?ll make progress and I?m looking forward to having him back when he is ready."
Ferrari`s Felipe Massa, who topped the time charts on Thursday, said he was delighted that Kubica was making a recovery.
"I am glad Robert is getting better. It was nice that we all had a note for him on our cars and again I wish all the very best," said Massa.
Kubica, whose right hand was partially severed in the crash, left the intensive care unit at the Santa Corona hospital in Pietra Ligure in Italy on Thursday and was moved to the accident and emergency department.
He will undergo a new operation on Friday and is also awaiting surgery on his upper arm and foot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says