F1 fans to see colour coded tyres
London: Formula One tyres will be colour coded from next week`s season-opener in Australia to help fans tell which of six kinds are being used by drivers, new supplier Pirelli said on Friday.
The Italian company said in a statement that prominent logos on the sidewall of each tyre would carry distinct colouring depending on the type.
Only two of four possible compounds of slick tyre will be available in each race, plus intermediate and wet tyres in the event of rain.
Pirelli said the wets used in heavy rain conditions would be coded orange while intermediates suited to a damp and drying track would be light blue.
Supersoft compounds, providing speed at the expense of durability, will be coded red. Soft tyres that last slightly longer will be yellow, medium tyres white and hards -- the most durable of all -- silver.
"The first three grands prix of the year -- Australia, Malaysia and China -- will be hard and soft compounds, meaning that silver and yellow tyres will be first to make an appearance in Melbourne," the company said in a statement.
Pirelli have replaced Bridgestone as sole supplier, with tyres expected to be less durable and play a bigger part in race strategy by also increasing the amount of overtaking and producing more pitstops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what