F1 governing body to appeal Briatore verdict
London: Formula One`s governing body will appeal against a French court`s decision to overturn a life ban on former Renault team boss Flavio Briatore, the International Automobile Federation (FIA) said.
"The President of the FIA has consulted the FIA Senate and the FIA`s lawyers about the decision of the Tribunal de Grande Instance de Paris of 5 January," a statement said. "It was unanimously agreed that an appeal would be prepared."
Briatore was banned last September for involvement in a plot to rig the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix by having Brazilian Nelson Piquet crash deliberately, helping team mate Fernando Alonso win the night race.
The Paris court overturned the decision, ruling the sanction was illegal.
The FIA said the ban on Briatore remained in effect pending appeal but drivers, such as Red Bull`s Australian Mark Webber, managed by the Italian would be issued with super-licences as normal.
In September, the FIA had said it would not renew any Superlicence granted to any driver associated with Briatore or any entity linked to him.
The FIA said work was also well advanced on a disciplinary procedure which would ultimately address the issues given in the court`s judgment.
"The FIA President, the FIA Senate, the World Motor Sport Council, and the FIA`s Member Clubs from all countries will take whatever measures are necessary to ensure the continuing integrity and safety of the sport," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi