F1 to award double points for final race in 2014
London: Formula One will award double points for the last race of the season in an attempt to keep championships undecided until the very end, the sport`s governing body announced on Monday.
The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said the change, after a season of record domination by Red Bull and quadruple champion Sebastian Vettel, was immediately applicable and would "maximise focus on the championship until the end of the campaign".
Vettel, 26, won the last nine races of 2013 and wrapped up his fourth title with three rounds to spare.
Next year`s season-ender is in Abu Dhabi on November 23.
The FIA also announced, after a meeting in Paris of its Formula One commission and the F1 strategy group, that the principle of a global cost cap had been unanimously approved, with the aim of introducing it from January 2015.
The Paris-based body said a working group, made up of the FIA, commercial rights holder and team representatives, would be established to work on having regulations approved by the end of June next year.
A change to the system of driver numbers was agreed, with drivers in future carrying their number through their career in Formula One rather than taking a new one every year depending on where they finished.
The number one will be reserved for the world champion, should he decide to use it.
Should more than one driver choose the same number, preference will be given to the man who finished highest in the previous year`s championship.
The principle of a five-second penalty for minor infringements was also accepted for 2014, with teams to discuss how it should be applied.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!