F1 to revert to 2015 qualifying format - FIA sources

Sources said the teams outlined their united position in a letter to F1 commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone and FIA head Jean Todt.

Reuters| Last Updated: Apr 08, 2016, 00:09 AM IST
F1 to revert to 2015 qualifying format - FIA sources

London: Formula One will revert to its 2015 qualifying format at next week`s Chinese Grand Prix, sources at the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) on Thursday.

The sport had looked set to retain its unpopular qualifying format in China after teams rejected a compromise backed by the governing FIA and called for a return to last year`s version.\

Sources said the teams outlined their united position in a letter to F1 commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone and FIA head Jean Todt.

They pair had ruled out going back to the old system at a 90-minute meeting with the teams in Bahrain last weekend.