Felipe Massa accuses Sergio Perez of being `dangerous`
Montreal: Felipe Massa accused rival driver Sergio Perez of being "dangerous" after the Mexican had caused their near-300kph collision in Sunday`s Canadian Grand Prix.
Massa spoke out in the early hours on Monday after both men had escaped serious injury in a horrifying accident on the closing laps of a memorable race which saw Australian Daniel Ricciardo of Red Bull claim his maiden victory.
Brazilian Massa had tried to pass Perez for fourth position as they approached Turn One when their cars collided, an impact that sent both into the barriers at high speed.
"We`ve had the rules for a few years that when one car is up the side, the other cannot move
anymore," said Massa, who was driving for Williams.
"He just move and we touched. It`s dangerous. For me, five places is not enough. He was dangerous. We could have crashed into (Sebastian) Vettel."
Mexican Perez of Force India was given a five-place grid penalty for the next race, the Austrian Grand Prix on June 22.
Both men were able to walk away from the accident, but the impacts were of such force - Perez hit the barriers at 27G - that they both had to go to hospital for precautionary observation and check-ups.
Massa added: "I talked to him at the medical centre. I was so disappointed with him.
"I said that he needs to learn. I wanted him to put himself in my place, because I had a huge crash and honestly I thought it was going to hurt.
"It`s not the first time that he turned into somebody under braking. He did this many times. He didn`t say anything, he just turned and left. I hope he learns.
"We are doing around 300km/h there. With another car in front it could have been a very serious accident."
Perez said he was suffering with electrical and rear brake problems in the closing stages of the race.
"On the final lap, I was defending my position going into Turn One when I suddenly got hit from behind," he said.
"It was not easy in the final laps and I was pushing hard to try and get ahead of Nico (Rosberg) for the lead."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs