Felipe Massa announces Ferrari departure
Rome: Felipe Massa announced via Twitter on Tuesday that he will no longer be driving for Ferrari next year.
Ferrari`s last world champion, Kimi Raikkonen, is believed to have been lined up to replace the Brazilian.
"From 2014 i will no longer be driving for Ferrari," said Massa on his official @Felipe1Massa account.
"I would like to thank the team for all the victories and incredible moments experienced together.
"Thank you also to my wife and all of my family, to my fans and all my Sponsors. From each one of you I have always received a great support!
"Right now I want to push as hard as possible with Ferrari for the remaining 7 races."
Talk in the paddock has been raging for several weeks about who will be Ferrari`s second driver next year alongside two-time former world champion with Renault, Fernando Alonso.
Raikkonen spent three years with Ferrari from 2007-2009, winning the world title in his first season.
He left F1 in 2009, moving to the World Rally Championship, and was replaced at the Italian team by Alonso.
After a stint in NASCAR he returned to F1 with Lotus in 2012.
Massa says he wants to remain in F1 but has yet to find a drive for 2014.
"For next year, I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the Championship which remains my greatest objective!" he said.
Massa has spent eight years with Ferrari since joining from Sauber in 2006.
In 2008 he came within a couple of bends of winning the world title, only for Lewis Hamilton to snatch it by overtaking Timo Glock two corners from the end of the Brazilian Grand Prix.
It was Massa`s best season in a Ferrari and the only time he challenged for the title, although he finished third in 2006 and fourth in 2007.
His 2009 season ended in July`s Hungarian Grand Prix when he suffered a horror injury in a crash in qualifying after being hit on the head by a suspension spring that had fallen from compatriot Rubens Barrichello`s Brawn.
Massa suffered a head injury that was initially thought to be life-threatening but he recovered and was driving for Ferrari again in 2010.
He has won 11 races in his Ferrari career, the last coming in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday