Fernandes hopes to see Chandhok race in India
Monza: Karun Chandhok has a good chance of racing in next month`s inaugural Indian Formula One Grand Prix, Team Lotus owner Tony Fernandes has said.
"I`d like him to. It`s up to the team to see (whether he will)," the Malaysian entrepreneur said at the Italian Grand Prix.
India`s Chandhok, the team`s reserve driver, has already raced once this season after replacing Team Lotus`s veteran Italian Jarno Trulli at the German Grand Prix in July.
He has also taken part in several Friday practice sessions.
Team Lotus announced on Sunday that Trulli`s contract had been extended to the end of next year but Fernandes said the Italian would be most likely to step down if Chandhok was given the nod to race.
"Yes, I think Heikki (Kovalainen) is our number one driver although Jarno`s out qualified him here," he said.
If Chandhok does race in India, there should be two homegrown drivers on the starting grid for the Oct. 30 race in New Delhi with Narain Karthikeyan set to be behind the wheel for struggling HRT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive