Fernando Alonso blames mid-season tyre changes for `virtually` lost F1 title
London: Ferrari`s Fernando Alonso has said that his title hopes were effectively ended by the decision of change of Formula One tyres mid-season.
Ferrari has lost competitiveness since more durable tyres were introduced in July following several failures.
Alonso won two of the first five races of the season and was competitive in all, but the Pirelli tyres, which were of a new design this year, began to suffer a series of dramatic failures, the report said.
He said that his team started the season in a good way but then lost out because of the tyres.
Pirelli came under pressure from Vettel`s Red Bull team, Mercedes, and the Grand Prix Drivers` Association to change the tyres on safety grounds, the report added.
Ferrari have lagged behind Red Bull throughout the five-year life of the current set of F1 regulations and Alonso is hopeful they will be able to be more competitive under new rules next year, the report further said.
He said that from next year, the team would start from zero and would put all their efforts into the 2014 season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror