Fernando Alonso says drivers must trust Pirelli
Nurburgring: Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso said on Friday that all Formula One drivers must trust tyre suppliers Pirelli to have done their job well this weekend.
The two-time world champion Spaniard said they had to put their faith in the changes made by Pirelli following last weekend`s extraordinary British Grand Prix where four drivers suffered major tyre failures.
"After what we saw in Silverstone, we now go to the Nurburgring, confident we can see an improvement," Alonso said during a promotional appearance for Ferrari.
"I know that various modifications have been applied and let`s hope that means all of us drivers can race in safe conditions.
"At the moment, we can`t make any predictions, because no one has tried them and we don`t know what and how many benefits they can bring, apart from trusting in the fact that it won`t be dangerous to race."
Pirelli is bringing new tyres at this weekend`s German Grand Prix, featuring a Kevlar-belt rather than the steel belt that has previously been used - and which failed so spectacularly at Silverstone.
It is hoped that this change, allied to stricter limits on tyre pressures and camber settings, together with a ban on tyre swapping, will prevent a repeat of the blow-outs that marred the British GP.
Speaking ahead of this weekend`s German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring race, Alonso said that all he and his rivals can do is `hope` matters have improved -- because there has been no testing of the new products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt