Ferrari boss dismisses suggestions about Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen leaving
London: The suggestions about Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen leaving Ferrari at the end of the year have been reportedly dismissed by president Luca Di Montezemolo.
Alonso has just two podium finishes from 11 races in 2014, while Raikkonen has a best result of sixth place. And the team`s failure to produce a winning car led to speculation over both men.
But Di Montezemolo said that they are lucky to have two great champions, who are working with the whole team to get back to being competitive again, The BBC reported.
Raikkonen joined Ferrari for the second time in his career at the end of 2013, having won the world title with the Scuderia in 2007, but has picked up just 27 points so far, triggering reports that the Finn could retire. He is, however, under contract at Ferrari until the end of 2015, with an option on his side to extend it to 2016.
Alonso, who is also contracted until the end of 2016, is frustrated by Ferrari`s continuing inability to provide him with a car which is competitive enough to fight consistently for race victories and the title, and is a target for McLaren.
Di Montezemolo said on the Ferrari website that as is the case every summer, there is unfounded gossip about alleged problems with senseless rumours bandied about, such as the ones relating to Alonso`s contract.
He added that they know that the summer heat always produces silly stories. Di Montezemolo said that their drivers must now relax in order to return in top form.
The Ferrari president said that the season is still long and they need Alonso and Raikkonen to be in great shape.
Alonso has finished in the points at every race so far this season and sits fourth in the drivers` standings, 87 points behind leader Nico Rosberg of Mercedes, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp