Ferrari boss wants Vettel to join Italian team in future
Johannesburg: Ferrari chairperson Luca Di Montezemolo has said he wants to see three-times Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull race for the Italian team in future. "Vettel is a future potential Ferrari driver.
If Alonso was to retire tomorrow, for whatever reason, then I want Vettel," Sport24 quoted 65-year-old di Montezemolo, as saying.
The 25-year-old Vettel, who won his third straight world title last month, extended his contract in November and is tied to Red Bull until 2016. Di Montezemolo admitted that he could not imagine both current Ferrari star Fernando Alonso, 31, and Vettel racing for the same team.
"Alonso and Vettel, that would be difficult. When you have the best driver in the world, you must offer optimal conditions," he said.
He praised Vettel in the highest terms and said Formula One legend Michael Schumacher was the first to alert him to Vettel`s obvious talent. "He`s young, he has both feet on the floor, he is down to earth and he has an overwhelming will to win.
Schumacher pointed him out to me four years ago, because he knows Vettel from his karting days. I must say Michael was right," said the Ferrari boss.
Vettel beat Alonso to the world drivers`` championships this year by just three points, but Di Montezemolo insisted he is very happy with the Spaniard.
"He is more than just a driver. He is a key figure because he puts so much into the team`s work," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach