Ferrari`s Domenicali sees tyres as key in 2011
Milan: Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali believes the switch to Pirelli tyres for 2011 could have a fundamental impact on the Formula One season.
The Italian company has returned to the sport for the first time since 1991, replacing Bridgestone, but the restrictions on testing mean it is a race against time to get the tyres ready for the opening race in Bahrain on March 13.
"On the rear tyres there are still some steps to be done. Due to the time we also haven`t done tests with wet tyres," Domenicali told a news conference at a ski retreat.
"We need to thank Pirelli, without them we would be running on rims."
Domenicali is hoping for rain during the first pre-season tests in Valencia from Feb. 1-3 to see how the tyres react in the wet.
Pirelli have said they hope their tyres can help create more of a spectacle than last season.
"This year, qualifying should not be as important as it was last season," Domenicali said. "Last season was very interesting and competitive but there wasn`t a lot of overtaking. This is a fundamental aspect which must be worked on."
A strategy error on pit stops in the final race of last season in Abu Dhabi cost Ferrari`s Fernando Alonso the title and although memories are still raw, Domenicali is keen to move on.
Red Bull`s Sebastian Vettel took the crown and reports recently alleged the German`s team and others may have overspent last season in a breach of rules, but Domenicali is not looking for revenge.
"The Formula One team`s association (FOTA) has all the tools to manage the situation. We respect the rules that`s all I can say," he said.
Engineer Chris Dyer, blamed by Italian media for the pitstop call in Abu Dhabi, has been moved aside and Red Bull`s Neil Martin brought in, but Domenicali said he did not want to dwell on the past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31