Ferrari`s show of solidarity for Italian sailors held in India
New Delhi: Formula One team Ferrari on Thursday clarified that its decision to race with the flag of the Italian navy on their cars at this weekend`s Indian Grand Prix is a gesture of solidarity towards Marines facing trial in India over charges of killing two fishermen.
"First of all, we just wanted to pay tribute to all the Italian Navy which is one of the excellences of Italy and it`s just a sign of hope that a solution can be found about the case that involves two Italian sailors," a Ferrari team official said.
"Something which has to be clear that we don`t want to say anything in one sense or the another. We have utmost respect for the Indian authorities. We just hope that a solution can be found as soon as possible," he said.
Ferrari on Wednesday created a flutter by announcing on their official website that it will show its support for Italian sailors by racing with military symbols on its cars` livery at the second edition of the Indian GP, to be held at the Buddh International Circuit from October 26-28.
The Italian team, on their website, said that they would be paying tribute to the navy as "one of the outstanding entities of our country". The cars will be driven by Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa.
Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, the marines on board the Italian ship `Enrica Lexie`, had allegedly shot dead two Indian fishermen--Valentine Jalastine and Ajesh Bi --on February 15 in Kerela`s Kollam city, apparently mistaking them for pirates.
They were detained on February 19 and were sent to Central Prison in Thiruvananthpuram. Later on, they were granted bail in June but on the condition that they must remain in Indian territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: SC to hear plea next week on FIR against 'bribe-takers'
- Wow! KFC India to replace plastic packaging with edible bowls!
- UN blacklists Indian-flagged cargo vessel carrying Libyan oil
- One minute of intense exercise can help you stay fit!
- Don't refer Bhagat Singh, Chandra Shekhar Azad as terrorists: HRD Ministry to DU