Finn driver Latvala wins Acropolis Rally
Athens: Finn driver Jari-Matti Latvala won the Acropolis Rally for his first victory in the World Rally Championship (WRC) this year.
The Volkswagen driver crossed the finish line Sunday in 3:31:01 after covering a distance of 300 km from Athens to the seaside resort of Loutraki at the Peloponnese peninsula and back to the Greek capital in one of the most demanding international races in its 59th year.
Spaniard Dani Sordo ranked second for Citroen`s team and Belgian Thierry Neuville was third in a Ford.
French driver Sebastien Ogier, who retains a lead in the World Championship this season for Volkswagen, finished 10th.
Dusty roads with gravel under heat make the three-day Acropolis race, the so-called "Rally of Gods", one of the most difficult for participants.
Spaniard Alexander Villanueva lost control of his Mitsubishi for a moment during a turn in one of the final legs of the rally and got off the road slightly injuring a spectator, who received first aid.
A total of 50 crews, including 13 WRC cars, entered the 59th Acropolis Rally, which was the sixth race on the WRC calendar this year. The stages had been reduced to 14 from 22 in the past years due to the economic crisis, yet the excitement for teams and spectators remained undiminished.
"It feels good to be a winner. I am very happy for me and my team. It`s nice to see the smile on people`s faces," Latvala said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'