Finn driver Latvala wins Acropolis Rally
Athens: Finn driver Jari-Matti Latvala won the Acropolis Rally for his first victory in the World Rally Championship (WRC) this year.
The Volkswagen driver crossed the finish line Sunday in 3:31:01 after covering a distance of 300 km from Athens to the seaside resort of Loutraki at the Peloponnese peninsula and back to the Greek capital in one of the most demanding international races in its 59th year.
Spaniard Dani Sordo ranked second for Citroen`s team and Belgian Thierry Neuville was third in a Ford.
French driver Sebastien Ogier, who retains a lead in the World Championship this season for Volkswagen, finished 10th.
Dusty roads with gravel under heat make the three-day Acropolis race, the so-called "Rally of Gods", one of the most difficult for participants.
Spaniard Alexander Villanueva lost control of his Mitsubishi for a moment during a turn in one of the final legs of the rally and got off the road slightly injuring a spectator, who received first aid.
A total of 50 crews, including 13 WRC cars, entered the 59th Acropolis Rally, which was the sixth race on the WRC calendar this year. The stages had been reduced to 14 from 22 in the past years due to the economic crisis, yet the excitement for teams and spectators remained undiminished.
"It feels good to be a winner. I am very happy for me and my team. It`s nice to see the smile on people`s faces," Latvala said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened