Former F1 team boss Walkinshaw dies at age 64
Glasgow: Former Arrows Formula One team boss and Gloucester rugby club chairman Tom Walkinshaw has died at the age of 64.
A Gloucester club spokesman said a statement was likely to be issued on Monday morning, as tributes flowed on social network site Twitter.
"Just heard that Tom Walkinshaw passed away today, great loss to the world of motorsport, good driver and team owner, RIP," said former Le Mans and F1 driver Mark Blundell.
Walkinshaw, who had been suffering from cancer, enjoyed success with Jaguar in sportscars and at Le Mans, which TWR Jaguar won in 1988 and 1990. He then joined the Benetton team as director of engineering and brought with him Ross Brawn.
The no-nonsense Scot was also instrumental in signing the young Michael Schumacher from Jordan after the German`s impressive 1991 debut at Spa.
After Schumacher`s controversial first championship in 1994, Walkinshaw joined Ligier -- at the time owned by Benetton team boss Flavio Briatore -- before taking over at Arrows in 1996.
Walkinshaw found himself with a world champion driver in Damon Hill on 1997 after the Briton won the title with Williams and was then dropped by that team.
Arrows never won in 382 races, although Hill almost did in Hungary, and eventually folded in 2002 due to financial problems.
The boss, a former chairman of the British Racing Drivers` Club (BRDC), remained a powerful character in motorsport, however, with a Holden team in Australia`s V8 Supercar championship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed