Formula E: Prost excited by new electric Formula
London: Grand Prix great Alain Prost said Monday he was exited by the "enormous challenge" of being involved in the launch of the new all-electric Formula E Championship.
Developed by motorsport`s world governing body, the International Automobile Federation (FIA), amid environemntal concerns regarding its current petrol-driven flagship Formula One competition, Formula E is a championship featuring single-seater cars powered exclusively by electric energy.
According to the FIA, it "represents a vision for the future of the motor industry over the coming decades, serving as a framework for R&D (research and development) around the electric vehicle, accelerating general interest in these cars and promoting sustainability".
Four-time Formula One champion Prost is the co-founder of the e.dams Renaut team, one of the inaugural Formula E outfits, which has his son, Nicolas Prost, as one of its drivers.
Speaking at the global launch of the new championship at London`s Round House, Alain Prost said: "This week`s test at (England`s) Donington Park will be followed by a busy summer in order to be ready and competitive for the first ePrix in Beijing on September 13.
"It is an enormous challenge because this championship is completely new, both in terms of the technology it features and also the race formats. These are very exciting times."
It was announced Monday that Battersea Park in south London would be the venue for the season finale on June 27 next year.
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: "The atmosphere will quite literally be electric... hosting this championship final of this all-electric race is a fantastic feather in our city`s sporting cap.
"It shows that there is great confidence in London`s ability to stage the biggest and best global sporting events."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you