Formula One: Hampered by new engine, Red Bull lose ground to rivals
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Melbourne: The new Formula One season will kick-off with the Australian Grand Prix on March 16 when the inaugural race takes place in one of the traditional circuits at Albert Park.
It will also start a new era in F1 with its turbocharged V6 engines and host of changes in rules and regulations. Unlike the previous seasons, wherein the Red Bull Racing`s German driver, Sebastian Vettel stamped his authority by winning four back-to-back championship titles, this season might pull of a few surprises. Vettel`s domination was such that the sport was becoming a bit monotonous for all, including the competitors themselves.
To start with, during the pre-season tests, the Austrian outfit showed presence of chinks in their otherwise formidable armour and most importantly, struggled with their new turbo engine. The Renault engine has failed to impressed, faring far worse than the other two engine suppliers – Mercedes and Ferrari, with which they will be fighting head-on for the title this term.
With the seasoned but unheralded second driver – Mark Webber, retired, Red Bull`s domination as a Constructor won`t be the same. Webber has been replaced by another Australian, Daniel Ricciardo. How well the former Scuderia Toro Rosso driver fare under a new role will be a question worth pondering.
Italian stable – Ferrari, which had been struggling in past few seasons with the car, might get a big boost as they have roped in Kimi Raikkonen, the Iceman of F1 alongside Fernando Alonso – a deadly combo of fire and ice.
Mercedes too have a good drivers in 2008 World Champion Lewis Hamilton and Niko Rosberg. On top of it, new turbo engines have worked really well for the German outfit in the pre-season testings.
However, regardless of these equations one can’t write-off the chances of Red Bull, a team having probably the best team of engineers.
So one thing is for sure that the upcoming F1 season will give its fans a lot of thrill, on-and-off the field.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow