Formula One icon Fangio`s sold for $26.4 mn
London: The Mercedes-Benz W196 with which legendary Argentine racing driver Juan Manuel Fangio won the second of his five Formula One world titles was sold on Friday at auction for 17.5 million pounds ($26.4 million).
The sum sets a record for a car sold at auction, this one being held on the 20th anniversary of the Goodwood Festival of Speed in Chichester, England.
The previous record was racked up by a 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa Prototype, which was knocked down for $16.4 million in 2011.
Fangio drove the W196 in the 1954 and 1955 seasons.
The Mercedes was acquired by a private buyer who put in his bid over the phone, auctioneer Bonhams said.
"We always knew that it was a very, very important car," James Knight, group motoring director at Bonhams, said of the W196.
The vehicle was also driven by Karl Kling, a teammate of Fangio`s, in the 1955 Italian Grand Prix, though in that race the prototype suffered a breakdown in the gearbox.
"This is the only Mercedes-Benz W196 in private hands. It is the only surviving Mercedes-Benz W196 to have won not just one Grand Prix, but two," a Bonhams spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video