FOTA finish for F1 teams` association
LONDON: The Formula One Teams` Association (FOTA) has been disbanded after members decided it was no longer needed as a representative body.
FOTA said in a statement the teams had "re-evaluated their requirements in the face of a changing political and commercial landscape in Formula One".
General secretary Oliver Weingarten told Reuters there had been some financial issues with unpaid subscriptions and also warned the sport was facing "a crisis or two around the corner" without the association.
A FOTA document seen by Reuters listed activities last year that benefited all teams including negotiations with circuits for testing and with tyre supplier Pirelli over branding issues.
Formed in 2008, the organisation was intended to lend the teams a united voice in negotiations with commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone and the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA).
However the unity was broken in 2011 when champions Red Bull, Ferrari and Sauber left amid disagreements about cost-cutting. Only seven of the 11 teams were officially in FOTA last year.
The group was led by McLaren principal Martin Whitmarsh, who has lost control of that team since his predecessor Ron Dennis regained charge, and Lotus principal Eric Boullier who has now joined McLaren.
The top teams are now in an F1 strategy group set up under the terms of the new `Concorde Agreement`, the document which governs the sport, agreed with Ecclestone and the FIA. That group met on Friday.
FOTA`s disappearance may be missed most of all by regular fans, with the body organising popular forums ahead of some races with drivers and team officials answering questions from the public.
"The reaction from fans has been one of shock on coming to terms with the fact they may lose a point of contact for interacting with the sport through the fan forums," said Weingarten.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA