German success for Indian driver Jehan Daruvala
Ampfing: Indian racing driver Jehan Daruvala continued his impressive form with a win in the first round of the German National Karting Championships here.
The Sahara Force India Academy driver faced a 36-strong line-up featuring some of the best karters in Europe and the World - including the defending Champion and runner-up from 2013 - and came up on top to claim victory over the weekend.
Jehan claimed pole from the Netherlands` Martijn van Leeuwen by 0.076s in a dry qualifying session and, as rain started falling for the heats, the Indian racer`s dominance in wet conditions shone through and he claimed both races with unassailable leads.
The first final was the only blot on Jehan`s copybook for the weekend as he was unable to capitalise on his pole position and finished fourth; he was back on form, however, for final two as he claimed a last-lap victory by making his way from fourth at the start and relentlessly reeling in the leader to set up a last-gasp clincher.
This result is made even more impressive by Jehan having never driven on this track before and having just one day of practice sessions to catch up with his rivals - a feat complicated by the variable weather conditions which however didn`t deter the young Indian driver.
With this win, Jehan leads the German National Championships and heads in good spirits to La Conca, Italy, where he will compete in the first round of the CIK European Championships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof