German success for Indian driver Jehan Daruvala
Ampfing: Indian racing driver Jehan Daruvala continued his impressive form with a win in the first round of the German National Karting Championships here.
The Sahara Force India Academy driver faced a 36-strong line-up featuring some of the best karters in Europe and the World - including the defending Champion and runner-up from 2013 - and came up on top to claim victory over the weekend.
Jehan claimed pole from the Netherlands` Martijn van Leeuwen by 0.076s in a dry qualifying session and, as rain started falling for the heats, the Indian racer`s dominance in wet conditions shone through and he claimed both races with unassailable leads.
The first final was the only blot on Jehan`s copybook for the weekend as he was unable to capitalise on his pole position and finished fourth; he was back on form, however, for final two as he claimed a last-lap victory by making his way from fourth at the start and relentlessly reeling in the leader to set up a last-gasp clincher.
This result is made even more impressive by Jehan having never driven on this track before and having just one day of practice sessions to catch up with his rivals - a feat complicated by the variable weather conditions which however didn`t deter the young Indian driver.
With this win, Jehan leads the German National Championships and heads in good spirits to La Conca, Italy, where he will compete in the first round of the CIK European Championships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?