Ghosh, Gill complete hat-trick of wins
Coimbatore: National champion Amittrajit Ghosh (co-driver Ashwin Naik) and Gaurav Gill (Musa Sherif) recorded their third consecutive wins of the season by topping the INRC Overall and SUV categories, respectively, in the Rally of Coimbatore that concluded here Sunday.
Kolkata-based Ghosh, in a Group N (stock) Mitsubishi Cedia drove well within himself to annex the title in the third round of the Indian National Rally Championship following his success in Chennai and Nashik earlier this year.
“I did not really push as I wanted to preserve the car. It was difficult to drive slow because it can affect your concentration. But as I had a big lead, I took it easy,” said Ghosh.
Finishing second behind Ghosh was Bangalore’s Vikram Devadasen (Srikanth Gowda) while Mysore-based Phalguna Urs (Anoop Kumar) came in third, also in a Cedia.
Asad Khan (Zayne Asrar) from Bangalore recorded his second consecutive win of the season in the Junior INRC class to consolidate his position in the championship standings, by finishing ahead of Suhem MK (J Jeevarathinam) while Rohan Pawar (Arjun Mehta) in a VW Polo was third.
For Gill, driving a factory-supported XUV 500 for Mahindra Adventure team, comfortably won in the SUV championship class with a risk-free run on Sunday to chalk up his third podium on the heels of his wins in the previous two rounds.
In the top-end IRC, former World Rally champion (production class) Karamjit Singh (Jagdev Singh) from Malaysia, driving a VW Polo for Slideways Industries, emerged on top after overnight leader Samir Thapar (Vivek Ponnusamy) retired in their Mitsubishi Evo X.
Meanwhile, in the INRC 1600cc class, overnight leader Arjun Rao (Satish Rajagopal) in a VW Polo eased off a tad too much enabling Byram Godrej (Prajwal Pai) to make up a deficit of over a minute and take the honours.
While Godrej (Slidways Industries), also driving VW Polo, pushed hard, Rao backed off in the day’s first stage that cost him nearly a minute. In the next stage, Rao slowed down after shown a yellow flag when Dr Bikku Babu rolled his Cedia, about three kms from the finish.
However, those following Rao went through the section at pace as the caution flag was withdrawn and Godrej eventually pipped Rao by 12.7 seconds.
Provisional classification (Leg 1):
INRC Overall/2000cc (Group N): Amittrajit Ghosh / Ashwin Naik (Mitsubishi Cedia) 1 (1hr, 42mins, 42.9secs); Vikram Devadasen / Srikanth Gowda (Cedia) 2 (01:44:48.6); Phalguna Urs / Anoop Kumar DS (Cedia) 3 (01:45:54.2).
INRC 1600cc: Byram Godrej / Prajwal Pai (Slideways Industries, VW Polo) 1 (01:47:44.9); Arjun Rao / Satish Rajagopal (VW Polo) 2 (01:47:57.6); Md Kasim AA / Sanath G (Maruti Esteem) 3 (02:14:06.2).
Junior INRC: Asad Khan / Zayne Asrar (Maruti Esteem) 1 (01:51:06.2); Suhem MK / J Jeevarathinam (Maruti Baleno) 2 (01:53:00.0); Rohan Pawar / Arjun Mehta (VW Polo) 3 (01:56:29.2).
SUV NRC: Gaurav Gill / Musa Sherif (Mahindra Adventure, XUV 500) 1 (01:40:00.3); Lohitt Urs / Bonnie Thomas (Mahindra Adventure, XUV 500) 2 (01:46:29.1); Sunny Sidhu / PV Srinivasa Murthy (Mahindra Adventure, XUV 500) 3 (01:52:43.1).
IRC: Karamjit Singh / Jagdev Singh (Slideways Industries, VW Polo) 1 (01:42:12.1); Sumit Punjabi / Chetan Shivram (Mitsubishi Cedia) 2 (02:00:35.6); Samir Thapar / Vivek Ponnusamy (JCT Rallying, Mitsubishi EvoX) 3 (01:34:32.0 - retd)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!