Hamilton backs ‘former foe’ Alonso to win F1 World Championship
London: Formula One ace Lewis Hamilton has tipped once bitter team-mate, Fernando Alonso to win the world title duel with Sebastian Vettel.
Alonso and Hamilton, then a rookie, did not often see eye to eye during a torrid season together at McLaren in 2007.
The two drivers have long since grown to respect each other and Hamilton is now cheering for Alonso, who won back to-back drivers’ titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006.
“I feel like Fernando has deserved it through the year. Ferrari haven’t made one mistake. He hasn’t always been the fastest but he has been up there,” the Daily Express quoted Hamilton, as saying.
“He has driven like the champion he is all year and I feel as though he is a three-times world champion. Red Bull have been more up and down but they have still done a great job,” he added.
After Button failed to finish in Korea and Hamilton came in 10th, McLaren have now dropped to third in the constructors’ championship, which they have not won for 14 years.
However, they could yet snatch victory if they can end a series of technical failures, the latest being a rear rollbar which gave Hamilton no chance at the weekend.
“While everyone has been working so hard, other teams have worked hard and done a better job. Ferrari have done a great job and Red Bull have done a fantastic job,” said Hamilton.
“At some stage in the future, I am sure McLaren will put together a strong package and the drivers here will make the best use of it. This is a fantastic team with a great history and will always be competitive,” he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?